When a shirt dress pattern is so stylish and also so comfy, it is like winning the style lottery! We designed this summer dress, perfect for the warmer months. We just love its relaxed fit and you will too. Sew your own perfect dress and add a breezy style to your look. This summer dress will keep you ahead of trends!
- Elbow-length sleeves
- Maxi length dress
- Spread collar
- Tie belt
- Button-down collar
How To Style And Wear Your Shirt Dress Sewing Pattern
This is a timeless piece that you can wear season after season. Here are some easy tips on how to style your shirtdress:
Wear it with sneakers and a denim jacket for a casual look.
Dress it up with heels and a blazer for a more polished look.
The possibilities are endless!
Whether you're looking for a new workwear dress or a casual weekend frock, this shirtdress pattern is sure to become one of your wardrobe staples.
Shirt Dress Pattern Overview
The classic shirtdress is given a very refreshing makeover with this modern design. It features a sweeping floor length silhouette that can be cinched at the waist with a tie belt, for an extra bit of confidence to take on any occasion.
The April shirt dress is great for an medium skilled sewing enthusiast
More Of What's Inside Our Dress Pattern
- A printable PDF sewing pattern format (You will need Adobe Reader on your computer to open the PDF files)
- Measurement sheet and size chart
- Step-by-step instruction booklet on how to cut and sew your pattern
- Assembling the pattern piece
- Step by Step Instructions with Illustrations
- Different sizes you can choose from
- A4 and Letter format for printing at home
- A0 for printing at the copy center on A0 paper rolls
- Projector files for projecting the patterns directly onto the fabric using the home projector
Sewing Your Perfect Size Dress
The creative mind is a powerful thing, and with the right tools it can take you to new heights. Let's put our minds together on this project so that you create an original fashion item from scratch!
- Your April printed pattern
- Preferred fabric
- Color matching thread
- Elastic 1 cm wide for waist
- 13 buttons
- Sewing Machine
- 1.4 cm hem (double turned)
- 1 cm for the rest of the seams
When you're looking for the perfect fabric to create your new summer outfit, consider a lightweight woven fabric, like cotton poplin, rayon challis or linen blends. They're lightweight and soft fabrics so it will be comfortable to wear
How much fabric do you need for your diy dress?
In the following table, we've included fabric requirements for each size. The measurements apply to fabrics with a width useful for 140-150 cm. You may need to redo pattern placement depending upon how wide your fabric is
Check your contraction!
Be sure to buy fabric that is on the contraction-friendly side of things. You'll want it steamed and ironed at its highest recommended temperature, which will help keep your garment a true fit to its sewn size even after the initial wash
How To Sew It
Sewing A Dress - Instructions
Now that everything is set up and you're ready to sew, let's get started. We've included easy-to-follow instructions with our pattern.
Just keep reading!
- sew the shoulders of the bodice, overlock the seam allowance and iron
- Sew the bridles of the sleeves and attach them to the sleeve in the place indicated on the pattern
- sew the sleeves in the armholes, overlock and iron the seam
- Sew the hem of the sleeves, turning twice and iron, according to the pattern and sew on the edge
- Sew the side seam, starting from the sleeve until the waist. overlock and iron the seam
- Sew the skirt, the fronts with the backs, good sides together. overlock and iron
- The skirt is attached to the bust on the waist, taking care to match the notches. overlock the seam and iron
- Sew on the waist seam an elastic 1cm wide, with a zigzag seam, length corresponding to each size, starting at the inner edge of the button stand
- Form the button stand by bending inwards the center of the face according to the pattern and fix it like a topstitch
- The hem is ironed inwards 0.7cm, folded once more inwards and sewn at 0.6cm (double turned hem)
- Apply interlining on the collars and the collar stand
- Sew the two sides of the collar, good sides together. Cut the seam allowance narrow and cut the corners obliquely. The collar is turned and ironed. Take one of the collar stands and iron the hem at 1 cm on the inside. Place the collar between the pieces of the collar stand and sew all 3 together.
- The outer collar stand is sewn on the edge of the neckline, good sides together. Then sew a topstitch at 1mm to attach the inner collar stand.
- Sew the buttonholes according to the markings, then sew the buttons
- Sew the cord, turn and iron
Good job! You've reached your goal! You created a stylish shirtdress from your sewing pattern. I look forward to seeing what you create next!
Eye-Catching Sewing Patterns To Try
The most creative people in the world are those who sew their own clothes. There is no limit on what you can create with a little bit of time and effort!
Explore our complete range of sewing patterns and other related products for a dazzling array of stylish items. We're confident that there's something in our shop which will make your next project stand out as if it were made by an expert!
A free sewing pattern is waiting for you
Let's see if our patterns fit your personality! Download our free off shoulder top pattern to get an idea of the quality of our patterns and see if we are a match to your style. We also designed a free tiered maki skirt, if you want to make a boho matching outfit.
This digital pattern is for personal use only. No part of the pattern can be shared, reproduced, or resold in any format. Thank you so much!
**Due to the electronic nature of this pattern, refunds and exchanges are not accepted. If you have problems or questions, feel free to contact me via message