Look knock-out on nights out sewing this mermaid skirt pattern that hugs your figure like a second skin. Wear it and you're sure to turn more than a few heads. A perfect beginners sewing project that will boost your confidence in fashion sewing! Get a stunning silhouette and add edginess to your outfits with this high waist pencil skirt featuring ruffle details.
What is a mermaid skirt?
A mermaid skirt is a super flattering and versatile type of skirt that fits tightly from the waist to below the knees before flaring out at the bottom. A bodycon skirt that will accentuate your curves and help you show off an hourglass figure.
The anytime, anywhere style and simple yet sophisticated design of this skirt will allow you to look professional and effortless while still feeling comfortable.
- Midi length
- Pencil Shape Style
- Fisthail cut skirt
- Ruffled at the bottom
- High waist
- Back-zip closure
How To Style And Wear Your Trumpet Skirt Pattern
In our Ranya skirt, you'll get the best of both worlds: the easy appeal of blue jeans, and the glamour of a party-ready skirt
To create a casual look, try pairing it with a loose blouse like a oversized white shirt tied on the waist or a cropped ruffled top to balance your silhouette. White sneakers will also help round out the ensemble.
If you are into more graceful and elegant looks, our Ranya skirt is suitable for a plethora of upscale occasions. A timeless elegance can be achieved through the addition of an off-the-shoulder blouse or a long sleeve form-fitting cropped top. Pair your upper self with a statement necklace or choker to give your outfit a hint of artistry. High-heeled shoes or pointed-toe pumps are perfect for finishing your look.
Ranya Mermaid Skirt Sewing Pattern Overview
The listing is for a high rise layered skirt digital download PDF sewing pattern. A pencil shape skirt with two rows of decorative ruffles makes this piece a flattering choice for any figure.
We are confident you will find it easy to follow and adapt! The detailed instructions and clear illustrations in this pattern will guide you toward making a gorgeous mermaid tail skirt, that's ideal even for beginner sewing enthusiasts.
Our fishtail skirt pattern is perfect for anyone with minimum sewing skills. It's great for beginners.
More Of What's Inside Our High Waisted Mermaid Skirt Pattern
- A printable PDF pattern format (You will need Adobe Reader on your computer to open the PDF files)
- Measurement sheet and size chart
- Step-by-step guide on how to cut and sew your perfect skirt pattern
- Assembling the pattern piece
- Step by Step Instructions with Illustrations
- Different sizes you can choose from
- A4 and Letter format for printing at home
- A0 for printing at the copy center on A0 paper rolls
- Projector files for projecting the patterns directly onto the fabric using the home projector
*All files are compressed in the ZIP archive for easy downloading. All sizes have separate files, you only need to print the files that are relevant to you.
How To Make A Mermaid Skirt
Look extra chic without sacrificing comfort. Our step-by-step instructions will help you craft a style item that will stay in fashion for years.
To sew the project we'll be working on in this class, you'll need the following:
- Your Ranya Skirt PDF Pattern
- 1 metallic zipper 25 cm long
- elastic fusible interlining
- color matching thread
- sewing machine
- 1 cm seams
- 1 cm hem
We recommend using medium-weight woven elastic fabric (with 4-5% elastane). The sample was made out of stretchy denim
How much fabric do you need for your DIY mermaid skirt pattern?
To determine the amount of fabric you will need, consult the table below. If you choose to use a different width or pattern (like stripes, plaids, etc.), adjust the placement of the pieces to ensure an even fit.
Check your contraction!
Please note that fabric can shrink when washed for the first time, so it is best to test the fabric's contraction before cutting. To do so, iron the fabric at its maximum heat recommendation
How To Sew It
How To Sew Your Mermaid Skirt - Sewing Instructions
Let's sew a fashion item, shall we?
- Overlock the center back of the back pieces separately
- Sew the skirt side seams by pinning together the 2 back pieces with the front skirt piece, right side to right side, matching notches, usig a straight stitch. Press the seam open and neaten the outer edge with a 3-thread serger stitch. fig 1
- Pin the 2 back pieces toghether, right side to right side and sew the center back seam, starting from the zipper notch down. Press the seam open. fig 2
- Apply elastic fusible interlining on the wrong side of the waistband.
- Fold the waistband in half lengthwise and press. Overlock the bottom part. fig 3
- With right sides together, sew outer waistband piece to the skirt at 1 cm (aligning bottom edge of the waistband and top edge of the skirt). Press seams up.
- Sew the zipper on the center back of the skirt, starting from the middle of the waistband. Center the zipper behind the seam allowance. Pin and then sew in place along both sides. fig 4
- Sew together the inside of the waistband and the front of the waistband (on the side), making sure to fix the zipper in the middle (hamburger style). Fold the seam up and press. fig 5
- Working from the right side of the work, sew down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side of the zipper. fig 6
- Fold up the waistband seam and pin the inner waistband. Apply a 0.5 cm topstitch along the outer waistband, making sure to include the seam allowance and inner waistband in the seam.
- Overlock the sides of the ruffles (pieces 3,4,5,6)
- Sew ruffles 3 and 4 together, right side to right side, at 1cm. Press the seam open. fig 8
- Sew ruffles 5 and 6 together, right side to right side, at 1cm. Press the seam open. fig 8
- Overlock the outer edge of the ruffles. Turn up the hem 1 cm to the wrong side of the fabric. Press in place and sew at 0.9 cm.
- Place the little ruffle over the big ruffle, wrong side to right side, and sew them together at 0.5 cm on the inner side. fig 9
- Place the top edge of the ruffles over the bottom edge of the skirt, right side to right side, matching the notches and sew at 1 cm. Overlock the seam and press.
- Iron the skirt
Find your next pattern
We know that everyone is looking for unique patterns so we encourage you to browse our website and discover a whole range of stylish items for your next outfit whether it's a trendy circle skirt or floor length skirt. Please let us know if you have any questions or comments. We would love to hear from you! Thank you for reading, we are always excited when one of our new posts is able to provide useful information on a topic like this!
Don’t Miss Out A Free Pattern
To see if we are a good match for your needs, don't miss out on our free off-the-shoulder top sewing pattern and tiered skirt pattern. They both come with a sew along video tutorial and step by step instructions. You wont be disappointed 😊
This digital pattern is for personal use only. No part of the pattern can be shared, reproduced, or resold in any format. Thank you so much!
**Due to the electronic nature of this pattern, refunds and exchanges are not accepted. If you have problems or questions, feel free to contact me via message