A cropped hem is super flattering and shows off just the right amount of skin when you rock this classy button-up crop top shirt pattern that features a slightly oversized fit that keeps it feeling relaxed and comfortable. This top-meets-jacket is the best of both worlds! It's updated with a cropped silhouette, so you can keep it cozy while still looking stylish.
Go ahead and rock a cropped hem shirt with confidence!
How To Style And Wear Your Cropped Top Shirt
You`ll pull off a perfectly chic look with minimum effort sewing our oversized cropped shirt pattern and pair it with high-waist trousers or jeans. High-waisted pants will no longer be a problem if you match them with Kate crop shirt. Short enough not to cover the beautiful waist of new pants, but long enough not to reveal unwanted details!
Kate Crop Top Shirt Sewing Pattern Overview
The best of both worlds, this top-meets-jacket is updated with a cropped silhouette. Keep it cozy in this cropped shirt-jacket versatile pattern that's great for layering. With a button-down front, long sleeves and two patch pockets, this piece has all the makings of a good layering piece. The cropped silhouette gives it just the right amount of edge. Wear it over a dress or a tee and jeans for an easy, everyday look.
The Kate pattern is great for a medium skilled sewing enthusiast
We've Got More Inside Our Pattern
- A printable PDF pattern format (You will need Adobe Reader on your computer to open the PDF files)
- Measurement sheet and size chart
- Step-by-step guide on how to cut and sew your pattern
- Assembling the pattern piece
- Step by Step Instructions with Illustrations
- Different sizes you can choose from
- A4 paper and Letter format for printing at home
- A0 for printing at the copy center on A0 paper rolls
- Projector files for projecting the patterns directly onto the fabric using the home projector
Sewing Your Perfect Size Summer Top Pattern
Your outcome is within your grasp if you have a little sewing knowledge, some persistence, and a vision in mind. Take advantage of our sewing patterns and make your own top perfect for summer time! You might even decide to start making all your clothes yourself!
- Your sewing pattern
- Preferred fabric
- Color matching thread
- fabric scissors
- 14 buttons
- Sewing machine
- 1 cm seams
- 1.4 cm hem (double turned hem)
woven fabric suitable for shirts such as cotton poplin
How much fabric do you need for your DIY top?
You can use the chart below to estimate the amount of fabric you will need for each size. It assumes a fabric width between 140 and 150 centimeters. Fabrics of a different width and pattern (striped, plaid, etc.) should be redone so the patterns align with the fabric's width.
Check your contraction!
Observation! The fabric should be checked for contraction before cutting. A maximum recommended temperature should be used to iron raw materials. So you can ensure a good fit and prevent shrinkage after the first wash. If possible, purchase 5% more than you need to account for contraction situations
How To Sew It
Sewing A Crop Top Shirt Pattern - Instructions
- Apply interlining on the collars, collar stands, flaps and cuffs.
- Bend the center fronts inwards and iron, according to the markings, forming the button stand. Fix the button stand with a 1mm topstitch
- Take the pieces from the chest pocket and overlock at the top then form the folds and iron. The top is bent inwards 2 cm and a topstitch is made at 1.8 cm. Then bend the rest of the sides inwards 1.5 cm and iron to form the final pocket.
- flaps are formed
- Apply the pockets and flaps on the 2 front bodice, according to the markings on the pattern
- Sew the shoulders, placing the face over the back, good sides together, overlock the seam allowance and iron
- Sew the sides, overlock the seam allowance and iron
- Sew the two collar pieces, good sides together. Cut narrow the seam allowance and cut the corners obliquely. The collar is turned and ironed. At the inner collar stand, bend inwards 1cm and iron the seam allowance of the edge that is sewn with the neckline. The 2 parts of the collar stands are placed good sides together, the collar being placed between them and sewn together along the front and top edge of the collar stand. The seam allowance is cut narrowly and then the collar stand is turned inside out. Iron the collar
- The outer collar stand is sewn on the edge of the neckline, good sides together. On the front, a topstitch is made at 0.2 cm , so that it catches in the seam the inner collar stand also.
- The seam allowance of the hem at the front and back, is ironed inwards 0.7cm, folded once more inwards and sewn narrow (double turned hem)
- The inner edges of the sleeves are bent inwards and ironed, according to the markings, thus preforming the slit. Fix the sleeve button stand with a 1mm topstitch
- Sew the lower parts of the sleeves with the sleeve head part, according to the markings, good sides together. Overlock and iron the seam and give a topstitch at 0.5 cm pointing upwards
- Sew the side seam of the sleeves , overlock and iron the seam.
- The cuffs are formed and applied on the sleeves
- The sleeves are sewn in the armhole, taking care to match the notches. Overlock the seam allowance and iron
- Sew the buttonholes on the right chest collar stand as well on the cuffs and slits, according to the markings. The size of the buttonholes depends on the size of the buttons used.
- The buttons are sewn according to the buttonholes on the left chest and on the opposite side of the buttonholes on the cuffs.
There you have it! It was a pleasure working with you on the Kate Pattern. I hope you had a great time making it. My anticipation is high for your result! My hope is that you enjoyed sewing this pattern as much as I enjoyed designing it!
Video Sewing Tutorial
You can follow along at your own pace with this sewing pattern tutorial. Seeing everything is assembled will allow you to get a feel for the process. Simply pause and rewind until you have mastered every step. As a result you will complete your project in no time and achieve a high-quality result.
A Curated Collection Of Sewing Patterns.
We've gathered some of our favorite sewing patterns so you can start your next project with confidence. Browse our collection and find the perfect pattern for you.
No matter what your sewing level or what you're looking for, we hope you find the perfect pattern in our collection.
Free Sewing Pattern Download
Make an off-shoulder top for free to try out our patterns. Easily download this free pattern to enhance your wardrobe. And we also designed a free tiered skirt pattern to match it. Both come with a sewing tutorial for easy sewing.
This digital pattern is for personal use only. No part of the pattern can be shared, reproduced, or resold in any format. Thank you so much!
**Due to the electronic nature of this pattern, refunds and exchanges are not accepted. If you have problems or questions, feel free to contact me via message